Dean's Advisory Council

     Another involvement of mine is Dean's Advisory Council or DAC. Dean's Advisory Council is a group of selected students from varying business majors, who meet once a month with Dean Navin. I was first introduced to DAC in my TREX class last semester. Current members of the council came in to urge us to apply. I had no doubt in my mind that I was going to apply right after class ended. About a week later we were interviewed by current members. I was so nervous for my interview, but once I sat down all of the nerves went away. I felt confident in my answers and was excited to hear back from them. I then had a follow-up interview with Dean Navin shortly after. Meeting the Dean for the first time formally is scary, let alone being interviewed by him. I left that interview feeling good, but not nearly as good as the peer interview. I was so scared to open the email with the results. I opened the email to spectacular news that I had become one of the newest members of DAC! I feel honored to be a part of this council and I am so happy that I went through all of the steps to join. 

    Not only is being on the council an amazing opportunity for making connections, volunteer opportunities, having a voice and representing my major, but it also allowed me to gain experience interviewing. Going through that interview process made me feel prepared for the future. I am sure I will interview for plenty of things in my future at ONU, but this was my first formal interview experience, and I am grateful for having been through it!

    A lot of people know who we are but know nothing about what we do for Dicke. We help work Orange and Black Days, Polar Preview Days, we decorate Dicke for Christmas and work with Dean Navin on things that can better students' days in Dicke College of Business Administration. For example, the water bottle filler upstairs or replacing certain technology, he takes our feedback and makes changes to improve our building and experiences. I love everyone in DAC so much and have had a lot of fun getting to know them. Having them as a resource or mentor is another thing that I value so much about the council. Being able to lean on upper classmen for advice without feeling intimidated or embarrassed is a perk. Another perk are the bagels that Dean Navin provides for us at our meetings!! 



Comments

  1. This sounds like an amazing opportunity! I have heard of it but never really knew anything about it so thank you for sharing. The interview process is definitely one that makes me nervous as well, but with practice it definitely starts to get easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, congratulations on your acceptance to becoming a DAC member. I'm sure this was a very stressful process, but you did it! This is a huge opportunity for you to become more engaged on campus which can open up a world of possibilities for you in the future.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts