Family at Northern

    My sister, Emma, is a junior in high school and is starting to think about college. She has an official visit to Northern scheduled already. My mom and I are a bit biased when it comes to Northern. Of course, it will be the first place Emma visits. I am excited for her to get to see campus, meet a few professors and connect with some current students. She plans to study education and wants to become a second or third grade math teacher. Which is ironic because my dad is an elementary school math teacher. I followed my mom's footsteps and Emma followed my dad's.


    All three of them came to visit me last weekend. Emma wanted to stay in my dorm room for a night and I needed a new fridge, so they spent their Friday night out in Ada, Ohio. We moved in my new fridge and headed to Tavern 101 for dinner. My mom always loves coming back and is constantly reminiscing on her years here, but she hates the drive and was surprisingly the first person wanting to leave. My dad and sister think I am living the absolute dream here. After dinner, all of them came back into my dorm room to watch gymnastics with me before heading back to Medina. Watching NCAA gymnastics competitions on Friday nights has been a tradition in my family since I was around seven years old. With 2024 being the first season of gymnastics without me at home or competing, it has been rather sad for me to watch the competitions alone in my dorm. So, it was really nice to have them watch it with me again. My dad didn't want to leave. He thinks I do nothing while I am here, except for lay in my bed and do homework. I told him that I would rather go teach his math class than be running around like a chicken with their head cut off every day like I do. Eventually they said goodbye, leaving Emma behind for the night. 

    The next morning, Emma made it clear that she has no other plans for college. She is dead set on Northern and I couldn't be more excited. Even as different majors and years, I can't wait to have overlap with both of us here. Every time I see her, she complains to me about how she wants to be here already and how she hates high school. I just tell her that I had to suffer through the same exact thing. I hated high school, and I absolutely love Ohio Northern. 

   I am already counting down the days until her visit!

Comments

  1. Having family here at school is so fun! My brother is a senior here at Northern and it has truly been a blessing getting to spend two more years with him at school before we both go our separate ways and start our lives after college. I originally didn't want to come to ONU because I didn't want to go to the same school as him but I am so thankful I came here and that I have him here. You are going to love being able to spend time with your sister at school!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so fun that your family got to come visit you and had quality family time. My sister and I have the same gap that you and your sister have so i totally understand how you feel. I wish I could convince my sister to come to ONU haha. It's fun to have that family connection at school.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts