Seattle!

     As most of you know, this weekend I will be traveling to Seattle! I am not a travel guru, the farthest west that I have traveled is to Missouri. I have only been on a plane like five times. So, I am understandably nervous for this trip. Not only is it the longest plane ride I will have been on, it is also the first time I am traveling without a parent. Needless to say, my dad is not excited for me to go on this adventure, but my mom is ecstatic about it.

    My mom is happy about it because of the circumstances. I am going all the way across the country to represent Ohio Northern at the PRSSA Leadership Assembly. At this weekendlong assembly, I have to give a five-minute speech to persuade other representatives to vote for me. They are voting on who the next National Committee Members for PRSSA will be. Since meeting Alyson Hoffman, I have known that I want to be a National Committee Member for PRSSA. I am hoping to receive enough votes to become the Vice President of Digital Communications for the next year. This position essentially runs the PRSSA social media platforms. 

    So, not only am I nervous to travel, I am also nervous for my speech and if I will receive the position or not. As if stressing over this is not enough on my plate, I have also had to coordinate with all of my professors to make up and complete assignments I will be missing before I leave. With spring break next week, it has been rather challenging to cram in all of the assignments and exams I need to get done before the trip, since next week is not an option. My dad also has added to my plate. I need him to take me to the airport at 3 a.m. on Thursday morning, of course he was not happy with me after telling him that. Then, he did not realize that the trip was paid for by PRSSA and ONU and he proceeded to tell me "This trip sounds like a waste." I was puzzled on why he said that, then realized that had no idea why I was going on the trip and that he was totally clueless about my speech. He is also uneasy about me traveling alone for the first time, which did not help my anxiety about it. I know I will be fine and do well, but I am scared I will travel all that way just to be let down and not receive the position. 

    Have you ever traveled without a parent? Have you ever had to give a five-minute speech in front of hundreds of strangers? If so, please comment some advice! 



Comments

  1. Wow!! That is such a cool opportunity. I know that when I first traveled without a parent a summer or two ago I was also nervous. I know that when you have a question on maybe where something is or anything else most airport employees just want to help so don't be afraid to ask questions. Good luck on your speech!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got this! I am traveling for the first time without a parent this spring break! I personally love traveling and benign on my own though so I am coming from a different perspective. In addition, I have not spoken in front of hundreds of people but I have walked in front of hundreds of people and that was scary enough as is. However, knowing how much you care about PRSSA and the opportunity, I know you will do great just have confidence and be yourself! And know it is OK to mess up just stay true to who you are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh this is the coolest opportunity! Honestly no matter what happens just try to enjoy this one in a lifetime experience, because I guarantee you earned this position and should make the most of it! As for traveling alone, this spring break is actually my first time doing that as well! And while I'm not going across the country, the nerves are definitley still there. You will do so great though, just enjoy it and really take in this whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so exciting that you are going to Seattle! As a Grey's Anatomy fan, I have always wanted to go there, haha! Traveling alone can be scary, I know. I flew for the first time by myself this past March and I was so scared, but it all worked out. You will do great! I hope your conference goes well and just trust in yourself! What's meant to happen will happen.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts