Twitter...Not X

     To start off, I will be referring to X as Twitter because to me it is still Twitter. All of the drama with Elon Musk is the only thing people talk about when mentioning X now. So, Twitter was created in 2006 after the creator wanted a short message service. Personally, I have never big a big user of the app. I downloaded it in high school because my gymnastics team was being tweeted about. I have never made a tweet myself; I have only ever utilized the like and retweet features. 

    I am not surprised that more males use the platform than females. I feel as though females are more likely to just resort to Instagram over Twitter because of the visuals.  However, I was very surprised to learn that it is the 14th most popular social media platform. I thought it would be closer to number six or seven. The United States being the country with the most users doesn't surprise me either. 

    After reading the chapter, I feel like Twitter or X is the most limiting platform that we have talked about so far. Which I think is why I do not particularly love the platform. From the amount of characters you are able to include in a post to the number of photos you are able to include, the platform restricts users to keep the content short and sweet. While I am complaining about these restrictions, they are what make Twitter different from all of the other social platforms. If there were less restrictions, Twitter would essentially look like Instagram or Facebook. The restrictions have been changed in the past to allow for more characters in a post. In 2017, the limit was doubled from 140 to 280. 

    There are over 500 million tweets posted every day, but somehow the algorithm selects just a few to show up on your For You tab. The algorithm used takes into account likes, comments, replies, verifications and media. Each of those components boosts the post in the algorithm to an extent. 

   Do you use Twitter? Do you like it?







Comments

  1. I'm with you in thinking that I'll always call it Twitter. It just feels unrealistic for everyone to forget about a name that was around for so long. I also never post anything myself, it almost feels pointless to post if you don't have many followers because most of the content I see is from established accounts.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts