TikTok

     I don't know if TikTok is the best or worst app ever invented. Most of the time, I would say TikTok is one of the best inventions ever. However, it does suck up a ton of time once you get into it. I either go entire days without it, or I have TikTok "benders" and spend entire days just endlessly scrolling through my For You Page. 

    The most active age range being 18-24, isn't surprising. I can see how some marketers might think that TikTok will only reach a younger audience, but so many different age groups are on the app. My dad watches more TikTok videos than my sister and I combined. I get sent at least two every day from him. 

    The best thing about TikTok is how intentional, specific and strategic the algorithm is. My For You Page is full of engagement or proposal videos right now, and it is annoying me. My dad always sends videos that I have never seen because his suggested videos are completely different than mine. Yesterday, he sent me a video of a golf cart crashing into a tree. Random, I know, but it demonstrates the uniqueness of the algorithm. 

    I don't love making TikTok videos. I can make them, but I do not like being in them at all. Something else that I don't love about TikTok is how fast trends come and go. Monday a trend could be the only video featured in my feed and by Friday there are no more videos to a certain song, a different filter that is popular and a new dance to learn. With that being said, when it comes to TikTok creators have to move fast in order to maximize a videos potential. 

    I was very surprised to find that TikTok is only the sixth most popular social media platform. I thought it would be higher on the list simply because of how many people I know are active on it. Yet, I am able to understand that because it is so new, the number of active users logically is lower than Instagram and Facebook. Those platforms have been established and growing for over a decade now, and TikTok just gained popularity in 2020. 

    What has been on your For You Page recently???



Comments

  1. TikTok is definitely a brain rotting app. But on the other hand, it can be very useful for random everyday things you may encounter. It also helps companies get their name out there but one thing I've noticed is that most companies that become famous off TikTok usually don't sick around very long. That reasoning is unknown.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts